02 August 2006
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
by Robert Anson Heinlein

I spent about two years growing up reading every Heinlein book I could get my hands on. I scoured used bookstores, I scammed my mom into buying me reprints. There was none too small or insignificant for me to read. While I enjoyed almost all of them, only a few really stuck in my head for the next 15 years.

This was one of them.

Luna is a prison colony and they're tired of the restrictions imposed by Authority. Because of the significantly lower gravity, people can't go back to Earth, even after they've served their terms. And yet their lives are still controlled by those who run the prison. It's time for revolution! With the help of a sentient super-computer, of course. There's war, of course but then that's a result of TANSTAAFL -- There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch, which might as well be the motto of Luna. You can't be free without some strife first.

Um, kay, so I went and read Rhianna's post first. This is an interactive thing, right?
Manny's not actually Chadian (or whatever people from Chad are called), he's 100% mutt in heritage. The Chad thing was just trumped up to help them out when they weren't being allowed back to Luna. And to me, the writing style's an example of Heinlein's master world-building skills. There's no huge info dump about the teeny details of this alien world. There's just enough sketched that my imagination takes over for the rest.

And here's my biggest question for Rhianna: the most important figure who dies? Do you think that's Prof or Mike? lol I have a feeling we're gonna disagree on this one.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG