02 January 2008
Catchin' up on my daytime TV
So during my time off, there was a Dr. Phil episode on about feuding mothers and daughters. Yeah, I know it was a repeat but I hadn't caught it the first time. The first half was a musician daughter (who just happened to sing at the end of the show) and her stage mom. Second half? Oh that's the good part.

Mom was stalked by a serial killer twenty years ago. Daughter recently wrote a book based on the mom's story, with mom's help. They've since had a falling out over how the proceeds would be divided. Why such a big deal? The daughter apparently told mommy dearest the publisher said they would would make 3 million in a matter of months. That's where my eyebrows first went up. Three million? I say to myself. How in the world could that be? Meanwhile Dr. Phil's talking to the daughter about just how many copies would need to be sold to make $3 million. Answer: one million copies. But it gets even better.

Dr. Phil: We have your publisher with us today. (Gestures into audience.) Your name is?
Publisher: Thalia.
Dr. Phil: And the publishing company?
Publisher: Publish America.
Me: Laughing hysterically.
Husband: What? What's the big deal?
Dr. Phil: How many books have you sold a million copies of?
Publisher: I think I can safely say none.

At first, it really was funny. I laughed like crazy and had to choke out an answer to my husband, who was totally bewildered.

Don't get me wrong, there are times when vanity publishing could be a good thing, if you go in with a specific goal and with your eyes open. But no one's selling a million copies through them. Not happening. But then it occurred to me. There's people who really believe that's possible. Who really get their dreams crushed when they only sell a handful of copies to their friends and neighbors.

Jesus that's sad.


3 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

I saw that one by accident when I was at my mom's house back in July? August? I don't remember. But yes, I CRACKED UP. Can you imagine having a nationally televised fued over rights to a book going to Publish America??? *snort*

Blogger Tiffany Aller said...

That's hilarious! Thanks for sharing!!!!!

Blogger Ann Aguirre said...

Oh man. Embarrassing.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG