17 August 2006
Delving into my Mommy Blogness. Kinda
I haven't mentioned it here but The Nanny is no longer with us. (She was kinda fired, kinda quit.) As a result, the kids are in the CDC (Child Development Center. I know, I think anthrax and ebola every time I say it too.) It's working out pretty well, despite the arm and leg they charge. I'm starting to think I'm going to have to sell the older kid to pay for the younger one's daycare fees. We're in the highest fee bracket and that was even before the husbands promotion.

Here's the thing. Almost every day they send both of them home with art projects they did during the day. They've only been there two weeks and already I have three wind socks, two baby food jars filled with sand and uncountable paintings made with just about every kind of art supply you can name. Ink, finger paint, markers, crayons. What the hell do I do with all this crap?

No, I'm not the most cynical bitch to ever have kids. I'm sure twenty years from now I'll want at least some of this stuff to sniffle over. But seriously? If I kept everything, it'd probably fill a foot locker per year. Plus, lemme tell ya it's painfully obvious neither of my children's the next Picasso. The five year old's way to draw people is a circle with a mouth and two little lines coming out the bottom. Legs I guess, but where'd the rest of us go? Awful hard to pour him juice without hands, don't ya think? The three year old's look more like funnel clouds than anything else. "That's a tree, baby? You're sure?"

Yet, despite all this.....I still feel guilty as fuck throwing any of it out.


20 Comments:

Blogger Rhianna said...

Ahahaha. I save 1 from each of them for the fridge, and then 1 from each of them for each grandparent. Everything else gets recycled. :)

Blogger Kara said...

ha, lol. I wait till their about a year old, son's asleep, then toss all but the reaally touching ones...what he doesn't know doesn't hurt him..

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pick out a couple you really HAVE to have and then toss the rest. My DD had a million finger paintings from preschool and we just threw away all of them but two.

Pen drawings are my downfall - my kids draw on everything they can get their hands on! And then when I go to throw it away they say "but that is a *whatever* and I drew it just for you!" Talk about guilt.

Blogger airforcewife said...

I'm with Rhianna on this one. All the way.

but mine didn't draw circles with stems, she drew sperm people. Those were kind of embarrassing to disply...

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Toss them- but wait a few days- so they don;t notice. Rachel throws a screaming fit if she finds one of her COPIOUS art works in the trash can.
The inly thing I can promise is that, although the kid screaming never stops, eventually the guilt goes away- Right about the time that your refrigerator door falls off it's hinges from the weight of paper stuck to it.

Blogger Jane Doe said...

I feel guilty too. Someone once recommended to put all the pics and such on the fridge, take a pic of the fridge and save that while throwing everything else away. I've never tried that though.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is what we started with Anna in preschool and have continued on with as she starts second grade:
It all goes on her wall. Every last bit of it until there is no more places from floor to ceiling. When it is full, SHE has to choose which one to throw out to be replaced with her lastest masterpiece. I've always thought her room looked so kewl, love taking pictures every few months and only save a few per year.'
You have to be into a kids room being their space though and not need pretty walls with identical framed prints and bedspreads :-)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jane Doe has the right idea. Photograph all the CKA (Cute Kid Art)

In fact, give the kids little cheap digi cameras and call photography the new art. Their perspective (knee high to a grasshopper etc) is interesting.

(Also never show them this blog where you call all they do crap.)

Now I can't remember how I got here. I've had the page open all day and just got back to it.

Ah well ...

Blogger SRB said...

Save the special stuff like Christmas Ornaments and Mother's Day cards, and send the rest off to grandparents and aunts/uncles.

You could also see if there are any old folks' homes who would like some kid art.. that's what I did with the stuff my kids brought home, there was just too much stuff to hang on to.

Blogger Unknown said...

Cracks me up...

You gotta pick and choose...take digital pics of the rest of it and create a folder to be each kids' "art gallery"...then you don't have to feel guilty as fuck.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I take my three kids artwork and put them in a scrapbook... Some of it is cut up for background and stuff like that but each scrapbook is full of their artwork... Then I do not feel guilty and I do not have to throw it away

Blogger Rachelle Jones said...

There are these clothesline things that you can hang in the kids rooms, or hall or hell the livingroom...the kids can rotate artwork...

it is displayed, they feel proud...keep what you like done deal

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG