22 March 2009
God what an awful movie. . .
A friend and I ran away to the movies last night, to see Duplicity. Man, was that a piece of crap.

The impression I got from the commercials was that the emphasis was on the Roberts/Owen relationship, kind of a romantic comedy type vibe. Not so much. It was trying for that Ocean's 12 vibe where you're supposed to get as involved with all the little players doing all their little bits in this spy game. But it failed. Pretty sadly. Mostly because the rest of the team couldn't hold up their end against Roberts and Owen - and don't get me wrong, when it was just those two alone on the screen, the movie started to pop. But they didn't get enough time. So already the movie was kinda blah.

And then. . .

Oh, and then. . .

Roberts' character is supposed to be this hard-ass ex-CIA spy on the top of her game. She's supposed to be damn good and she's the one who hatches this plan for her and Owen to score $40 million. Owen has to play kissy face with some chick at one point, and Roberts, in her under-cover position, is shown the pictures. She goes all white-faced and clenched throat and I was DONE. We walked out. Bad enough the plot's all muddled. (I kept thinking, but if this were a book, where would it be *shelved*? And couldn't come up with a straight answer.) But you screw with the characterization and there's no point for me. Roberts's character knew the game. Hell, she was running it. You expect me to believe she's gonna get all "WTFery" and jealous because Owen was playing his part?

Oh, and as I was writing this today, I couldnt' for the effing life of me remember either character's names, either. Yeah, over all quite the impression.

Anyway, the 7 bucks was almost worth it, just for the Public Enemies trailer. I think I wet my pants when I saw it. I'll leave it up to you to decide what type of wet:



6 Comments:

Blogger rebyj said...

OMG Johnny Depp looks so much like a young christopher walken in that Public Enemies trailer!

pic at this link:

http://yfrog.com/06christopherwalkenj

Blogger KT Grant said...

Another case of a trailer making a movie look good. You would think with Julia and Clive, it would a good movie.

Blogger LorelieLong said...

@katiebabs I know, right? I can't think of a single Julia Roberts movie where I didn't at least enjoy myself. Until now.

Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

Rebyj, I'm SO keeping that Walken pic. Or is it Depp? The resemblance is, ahem, lovely. PUBLIC ENEMIES is just about #1 on my must see list for this year, coz even tho I'm looking forward to WOLVERINE, I know it has an 85% chance of sucking. Depp and Bale and Old Skool crime = 100% chance of wet panties.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whew! That was close. I actually had that on my list of movies to see. Maybe when it's in the old movie section so it's cheaper -- and definitely not in the theater. Too bad; I usually love Julia Roberts' movies.

Blogger Kristie (J) said...

I'm an odd one in that I'm not a fan of Julia Roberts. There aren't very many of her movies that I have enjoyed. And Clive Owen doesn't do it for me either - I know - oddball.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG