07 February 2009
Because easy content is awesome. . . .
I thiefed this meme from Carrie Lofty.


1. Tell me about the book that has been on your shelves the longest.

It's a tie between The Diary of Ann Frank and Little Women. I remember reading both sitting at the edge of the playground of a private school I attended for only two years, 4th and 5th grade. Me and my spotty memory can't agree on which year it was. Both are even older than that - Ann Frank belonged to my god mother and Little Women was my mother's. And lemme tell ya, they both look it. Too many re-readings has them falling into pieces.

Funny story: Ann Frank was in rough shape when I got ahold of her, so I actually bought a replacement at a book fair in 5th grade. I had in my lap during my Spanish class, sneak-reading, when I apparently missed the teacher calling on me. So he snatched it out of my hands and ripped it in two. I think it was my first inkling (after being raised by two book worshipers) that not everyone treated books with the same adoration I did.

2. Tell me about a book that reminds you of something specific in your life.

Every time I read Stranger in a Strange Land, it reminds me of the epic road trips I took with my mom the summer I was 13. I'd grown up in California, in mostly urban areas, and here I was now tucked in the back seat as she looked for somewhere quiet and rural to move us to. We ended up moving to Montana for a year. Talk about a strange land.

3. Tell me about a book you acquired in some interesting way.

Maybe the huge coffee table book on Barbie that I insisted on when I was following my godfather around at A Different Light? From my adult status I recognise it was probably aimed at drag queens, with it's glamorous pictures of both authentic and re-dressed Barbies, but then all I knew was that it was Barbie. And huge. And pretty.

4. Tell me about a book that has been with you to the most places.

I took no books with me to Korea (shocking, I know), but everything else has been dragged around with me. So at least four different homes in California, a year in Montana, a couple sojourns in North Carolina and Italy.

5. Tell me about the most recent addition to your shelves.

I picked up Something Wicked by Julie Leto today. And honestly, I may DNF it and pass it on to a friend. It's got witches in it, and they're the one paranormal I can't stand. All the hand waving and woo-woo? It's not detached enough from reality (I have friends who are wiccan) for me to buy it. Really, when you're picking up a Blaze, there ought to be something in the blurb that lets you know it's got witches (or vampire, or what ever's not contemporary sexxoring) in it.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG