10 September 2008
It's meme time - again!
This is a fun one. The rules:

1. Comment on this post and ask for a letter.
2. I will give you one.
3. Think of 5 fictional characters whose names begin with that letter, and post their names and your comments on these characters on your blog.

My letter, courtesy of Carrie Lofty, was B. B as in bear, as in buzzing bee, as in . . . ok, I have little kids. Gimme a break. (Ha! B!)

First up:

Charles Bingley. Often (almost always) overwhelmed by the brooding, Alpha presence of Darcy, Bingley has his own appeal. Gentle, accepting, and very sweet. In film versions, usually portrayed by someone "cute" rather than hot. But it's easier to actually live with cute than it is drop dead gorgeous. (And I for one, ain't gorgeous.)


Bernardo de la Paz. The anarchistic professor from Robert A. Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. I have an overwhelming love for this book. Destruction of tyranny! TANSTAAFL! Happy polygamy. The maturation of a self-aware computer. My thirteen year old self nearly went into melt down when I read it the first time. Initially I identified with Wyoming, the tall, gorgeous idealist, and I wanted to be her when I grew up. But Professor de la Paz is the more intriguing character lately. Exiled to the moon for reasons we never exactly learn of, he carves a life for himself in a place where he should have been out of his element. And when he sees injustice, he fights back. Brilliantly.

Baby, also known as Francis. Dirty Dancing. What girl in her ugly duckling stage doesn't sigh and imagine herself in Baby's shoes? Also an idealist. (Beginning to wonder why I identified with idealist characters when I'd describe myself more as a pragmatist.)



Barney. The devil in the form of kid's entertainer. When I was pregnant, Barney was big and I declared my child would never watch him, never have the toys, never even know him if I could help it. Everyone laughed at me but I succeeded. I'm still not even sure why it is Barney grates on my nerves so badly, but I just want to poke him in the eyes. Hey, look! Barney + cannon = fun!


Tobias Beecher, from HBO's Oz. An alcoholic but also a lawyer and family man, Beecher kills a girl while DUI and is sent to maximum security prison for his sins. From being the local Nazi's prag, to his sick twisted love with uber dangerous/sexy Chris Keller, Beecher had it rough. He becomes an even worse addict for a while, turning to heroin. Hell, at the end of the show he might be up for the death penalty for murder. Yet, through it all, you know he's trying to become a better man. August Hill is the moral center of the show, but Toby Beecher is the humanity, the dangerous path we can all fall down.


6 Comments:

Blogger Kristie (J) said...

OK - I'm in - hit me with a letter *g*

Blogger LorelieLong said...

Your letter is: K!

PS. wtf? I don't remember turning on the word verification. . .

Blogger Kristie (J) said...

Alright them - give me something to ponder at work *g* instead of just workish stuff.

Blogger Kristie (J) said...

Um...ah..... can I have a different letter maybe? I've been thinking 'til my brain has started smoking but I can't come up with enough for the letter K. Instead, I switched to the names of female body parts *sigh*

Blogger LorelieLong said...

lol
Ok, how about R?

Blogger Kristie (J) said...

*g* I think I should be able to do something with R!!!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG