14 April 2008
North and South
I usually prefer my tv and movies on the gritty side. I prefer Torchwood over Dr. Who, I love Oz and despise Prison Break. So it probably shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone who knows my viewing preferences that I adore North and South.

Friday night I popped open my Netflix queue. North and South was the first on the list that I could just click play on, so I did. It was a miniseries, and I was starting at about 9:30 at night, so I figured I'd watch one episode and toddle off to bed.

I next came up for air at 1:30, after watching all four episodes. And then I ordered my own copy from Amazon.

It's everything wonderful about Pride and Prejudice - the costumes, the acting, the proud, strong guy - plus the down and dirty realism of the abrupt way the world changed in the mid-1800s. The horrible life the workers dealt with and the desperate way the upper classes clung to their way of life.

Margaret pissed me off at times. Not during the proposal scene; I could understand her fear and hesitation, especially due to the timing. But at times like the dinner party, when she was so willfully Pollyanna. And I cannot for the freaking life of me figure out why Mr. Bell had to allude to having wanted to marry her also. In terms of character growth or illustration, I don't get it. She's just so freaking speshul?

Whatever.

Richard Armitage. John Thornton. Ohmigod, that voice. It's all been said, and I can't say it any better, so I'm going to save my time for drooling. After I say my favorite scene is when Margaret's leaving Milton and he's standing in the snow. "Look back. Look back at me." There's the voice in prime action, and the way he tries so hard to see if she looks back and then oh, the tragic way his gaze drops as he gives up, forevah! Aw, it was so freaking sad.

Do you know, ordering on Saturday, the earliest Amazon could get me my copy was Tuesday? It's b.s. if you ask me. Til then I have to work with the netflix set up, which isn't so great when you want to zip to specific scenes.


6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am writing to suggest FeedFlix to you. FeedFlix helps Netflix members keep better track of their Netflix rental patterns with stats and graphs and also makes it very easy to share your Queue and Reviews with anyone on the web. No registration is required. Bring along your Netflix RSS Queue and you'll be all set in seconds!
Please give FeedFlix a go and let us know what you think.
Thanks!
Raghu
feedback@feedflix.com

Blogger Kristie (J) said...

The balcony scene is my second favourite after the final scene. I'm so Happy that you watched this and loved it along with so many others!! And I had to laugh that after watching it, you ordered your own copy. I think there are many, many doing this. And I also chuckled that your plans of watching just one episode went out the window. I think that's happened on more than one occasion too *g*.
But it is so Very Grand isn't it?

Blogger Sarai said...

I have to say that it was my favourite scene and then the final. The reason was the love. You can really see how badly he loves her and wants her to feel the same. OMG I love this series!!!! Yeah I started out on Netflix (had it delievered) and planned to watch just one and then I ended up keeping it for a month (Stop throwing things at me people) not my fault.
Anway I am waiting for it to be delievered won't come until June thanks to a stupid book I ordered with it (I know, I know silly Sarai)

Blogger Carrie Lofty said...

Aw, sweetie, so glad you loved it :)

I was hooked when, at the end of part one, he walks through the mill as she says that Milton is like hell, snow white. His sharp profile, that rigid posture. *gasp*

Perfection.

Blogger KT Grant said...

Wouldn't it be awesome if they had Richard guest star on a few episodes of Torchwood?!?! I would die a very happy woman!

And I also recommend BBC's Robin Hood. Richard all angsty and evil looking.

But he sure can wear a cravat in N&S that makes you want to take it off and tie him up with it. *G*

Blogger LorelieLong said...

Kristie - I think many many people are ordering it and more than that, they're hanging on to their copies. I couldn't find a used one anywhere!

Sarai - I did that with the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice. Except I kept it for three months before I got a clue and figured out I should just buy it.

Carrie - Yep, that was quite a moment too.

Katie - Dude, that would be. . . delicious. The tension that could be built between dark, angsty RA and Captain Jack, especially if he were in bright, shiny mode? Wow. And yes, I'd already had Robin Hood on my queue and slid it up quite a few places, to right after I finish Torchwood and Firefly.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG